About Me

I'm a realist, simply put. This blog will be everything but "fake" or "kosher". It is what it is.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Are Black Student's in Honors Classes?

So, I'm attending college now and Monday was the first day of classes for me but I do not have all my classes everyday. On Tuesdays I have an Honors Banned Books and Censorship class, that I had to take because I am in the Honors Program and you must take at least one honors class to obtain your scholarship. Walking into the class I was already prepared for what I saw. A sea full of white faces with a sprinkle of Mexicans. No blacks. I am the only black student in this class. Now granted it could just be because the class seems like it's going to be the lamest shit in history but in a school with a good amount of black students I should not have been the only one in that class.


This made me realize that black students really DO NOT apply themselves the way they should. Once this came to my attention, I started reminiscing about how I was normally only one of maybe 2 or 3 black students in my honors and AP classes in high school also. All throughout my life, I've been in accelerated classes and have always been the only or one of a couple black students in the classes.


Quick Story: One time, in my high school Spanish class, we had an old white male substitute. I was sitting near a couple of other black girls, we were all working quietly and this man comes up to us and says "Wow, I've never seen black people work so hard... I'd like to thank you." -,- He really said this to us... and what's fucked up is he really meant it as a compliment. I could see that he was being genuine, so I chalked it up to him being old and white and didn't call him out on it.


What is up with that? Why do people see black people as underachievers and why do we SEE OURSELVES that way. Why aren't black students striving to be overachievers? It seems all that black students are interested in is partying, chillin' and just having fun. College is about the whole experience but the MAIN reason we go is to be educated... or else why the fuck are you paying 19,000 dollars to party? You can do that shit for free. I'm tired of being the one of the few black students in honors classes. It's discouraging. My black people, we need to get grounded and realize what is important in life and that's NOT partying, smoking, drinking, trying to look cool and all that other unnecessary shit. Education is the key to living a comfortable life... there's very few ways to be successful without a college education and while school is not for everyone and is not the only way to make it, having a college education makes most situations much easier.


Now, to bring this back to honors programs and classes; YES more and more black students are attending college but they are NOT applying themselves as they should. WHY AREN'T Y'ALLS BLACK ASSES IN THE HONORS CLASSES?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Black people NEED TO REALIZE that we MUST be the best to get half of what mediocre white people get. We MUST be the best to get that 6 figure salary job a year, we MUST be the best the get that raise over our white co-workers, we MUST be the best to get that higher ranking position at the office, WE MUST BE THE BEST... but that all starts with your CREDENTIALS. How you do in college and how you apply yourself is also a factor in whether people employ you or not. You think if you passed all your classes with C's and mainly D's but you graduated, that someone will want to higher you? YOU MUST APPLY YOURSELF and aim to be the best because in this world you must be.


MzBwnSkn

No comments:

Post a Comment