About Me

I'm a realist, simply put. This blog will be everything but "fake" or "kosher". It is what it is.

Friday, August 5, 2011

It's 2011!!!!!!!

As the years go on people want to forget and let go of the past. While I agree with letting the past be the past I do not agree with forgetting and I do not agree with brushing off serious topics such as Slavery, Racism, Discrimination, etc.

People like to act naive to the fact that no matter if it's 2011 or 1909, there are still going to be ignorant people in this world who do ignorant shit. Sweeping serious topics under the rug is going to help NO ONE. This whole "It's 2011" movement shit is not going to fix any problems. I call it a movement because everyone is hopping on board in repeating this phrase any time some ignorance is talked about or acknowledged.

Person 1: "Today, this little white bitch, threw a cup of soda at me while driving past and screamed out 'go back to Africa'."
Person 2: "Wow. People are still doing thing's like that? It's 2011."

This phrase really makes me want to karate kick people in the throat. The year in which we live in will NEVER change the fact that some people are going to hate you just because your black, or white, or a woman, a Christian or Mormon. WHATEVER, makes you "different", someone will hate you for that reason.

Don't get me wrong, everyone has their biases. Lord, knows that I have many but do I hate anyone because of their skin tone? No. Do I hate anyone because of their gender? No. Do I hate people over things that they cannot control or change? No... BUT some people do and until people really accept this and stop turning away from it, we won't make much progression as a people.

The "It's 2011" movement isn't new. Last year it was "It's 2010" and the year before, "It's 2009." I'm sure in 1967 they were using this same phrase but people need to realize this phrase will never make an ignorant person change their views of you. It will never make a neo-nazi stop his un-intelligible hatred for you. It will never make a sexist person like you for your gender. 2011 ain't shit but a number. Realize this, stop pushing shit aside, talk about it and work towards making it better and then maybe we'll be able to make some real progress. Maybe because in all honesty some shit just never changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment